HOW TO READ A BOOK: ANALYTICAL
- Classify according to kind/subject matter
- State what the whole book is: SHORT
- Enumerate its major parts in order, relation. Outline.
- Define problem or problems the author is trying to solve.
- Come to terms with the author by interpreting his key words
- Grasp the author's leading propositions by dealing with his most important sentences.
- Know the author's arguments by finding them in, or constructing them out of, sequences of sentences.
- Determine which of his problems the author has solved and which he has not; and as to the latter, decide which the author knew he had failed to solve