The strategy demands nothing less than the unmasking of the professional ethos. The credibility of the professional expert, be he scientist, therapist, or executive, is the Achilles’ heel of the industrial system. Therefore, only those citizen initiatives and radical technologies that directly challenge the insinuating dominance of disabling professions open the way to freedom for non-hierarchical, community-based competence.
Modern societies, rich or poor, can move in either of two opposite directions: they can produce a new bill of goods — albeit safer, less wasteful, more easily shared — and thereby further intensify their dependence on consumer staples. Or, they can take a totally new approach to the inter-relationship between needs and satisfactions. In other words, societies can either retain their market-intensive economies, changing only the design of the output, or they can reduce their dependence on commodities.
...the modernization of poverty means that people are helpless to recognize evidence unless it has been certified by a professional – be he a television weather commentator or an educator...
Wherever the shadow of economic growth touches us, we are left useless unless employed on a job or engaged in consumption: the attempt to build a house or set a bone outside the control of certified specialists appears as anarchic conceit.
Ten Essential Questions to Guide You To An Extraordinary Life
1) Will this choice propel me toward an inspiring future or will it keep me stuck in the past?
2) Will this choice bring me long-term fulfillment or short-term gratification?
3) Am I standing in my power or am I trying to please another?
4) Am I looking for what’s right or am I looking for what’s wrong?
5) Will this choice add to my life force or will it rob me of my energy?
6) Will I use this situation as a catalyst to grow and evolve or will I use it to beat myself up?
7) Does this choice empower me or does it disempower me?
8) Is this an act of self-love or is it an act of self-sabotage?
9) Is this an act or faith or an act of fear?
10) Am I choosing from my divinity or am I choosing from my humanity?