main themes as of this week:
- internet blackouts
- IT rules 2021: social media, internet, more control for the government
- data tangibility/visualisation
- low tech message
- winding cloth, textile
- line drawings
Feedback from Labs:
- idea of using lo-tech as a means to challenge and subvert an oppressive regime's manipulation of hi-tech to control a population
- behind the Iron Curtain; during the first and second world wars
- who are the intended recipients of your messages and are they cryptic or open?
MENTORING W/ NM:
- analogue banner as protest object? - in the future could there be many of these as - symbols of opposition to negative aspects of data & politics
- fabric banners as subversive indicators of internet blackouts in india
- make prototype banner & spindle
- contact workshop to help build you a more substantial spindle
- Ask others (in india) how to visualise the internet being on and being off - (workshop on zoom?)
- experiment with online tools to create data visualisations of these -
- consider who else you might speak with about these topics - and how they could input on the graphic nature of your project...
next week - make new prototype with rough ideas about visualising data on fabrics.
my own notes:
- digital antagonistic activity by the govt, represented as an analog piece
- keep thinking about: how to capture what it means to be silenced?
- thinking about lizard ladder/tinker yonder as accessibility tools, to draw with others
- two spindles on wood, think about material of the base? it is spinning on its own, being touched? any cultural