"Life is a battle against room temperature."
— Desire Dubounet
Open system have input and output flows, representing exchanges of matter, energy or information with its surroundings.
• Open system (computing), one of a class of computers and associated software that provides some combination of interoperability, portability and open software standards, particularly Unix and Unix-like systems
• Open system (systems theory), in the natural and social sciences, a process that exchanges material, energy, people, capital or information with its environment
• Open system (thermodynamics), in thermodynamics and physics, a system where matter and energy can enter or leave, in contrast to a closed system where energy can enter or leave but matter can not
• Open system (control theory), a feedforward system that does not have any feedback loop to control its output in a control system
• Open system, in management science a system that is capable of self-maintenance on the basis of throughput of resources from the environment