- Record ideas as they emerge
- Suspend all critical judgement until the end of the session. Idea production is ten times greater when imagination isn't restricted by judicial attitudes.
- Quantity is important. The more ideas, the greater the likelihood of success.
- Set a goal for how many ideas you want to come up with. Make the number so large that you will have to stretch to achieve your goal.
- Use and build on the ideas of others.
Giving yourself the time and space to think without distraction can lead to new ideas and perspectives. This is the benefit of actively allowing your mind to wander.