12 tbsp of super cold unsalted sweet cream butter (cut into little cubes)
3 cups of all-purpose flour
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of powdered sugar
1/3 cup of super cold shortening
1/2 of ice water
- Toss flour, powdered sugar, and salt into a bowl. Mix.
- Add shortening into flour. Mix in with a pastry cutter, until beady.
- Cut butter into mixture. Stir until butter chunks are pea sized.
- Slowly add ice water, one tbsp at a time. Use a fork to toss. Moisten evenly until dough is pliable but not too sticky . ** You might not need the full 1/2 cup of water **
- Split dough in two, and form pucks.
- Wrap each in plastic wrap.
- Chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Make filling.
- Flour board. Roll out dough to roughly 1/8 inch thickness
- Place in non-greased pie dish
- Trim and crimp edges as you wish.
2 cups of toasted and loose chopped pecans (cooled to room)
2 tbsp of melted butter (cooled to room)
3 large eggs
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup of 100% maple syrup (feel free to go fancy as fuck, it does a lot for flavor. I use Crown)
1 1/2 oz of bourbon (nothing fancy here, I use Jim Beam)
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1 tsp of ground Saigon cinnamon
1/8 tsp of ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp of ground cloves
1/4 tsp of salt
2 tbsp of all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Crack eggs in a bowl. Whisk hard.
- Add brown sugar, maple syrup, bourbon, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt, and flour. Whisk smooth.
- Add toasted pecans. Mix.
- Add melted butter. Mix.
- Pour into dough-lined pie dish. ** 7. No need to prebake crust **
- Loosely cover top with tin foil.
- Pop in oven. Middle rack. 50 minutes.