goodbye-pen.pnggoodbye-pen.png
goodbye-pen.png

Had a setback last week. Mangled HTML output, copy-and-paste issues, posts going missing… I had been delaying the inevitable.

In an effort to stay minimalist, I had built our text control on the Pen library: https://sofish.github.io/pen/. However, this library was just too difficult to tweak - and resulted in layers of poor choices on my part. Then I wrote a long transcript on Multiverse last week - and almost didn't get through it, the text-editing was so frustrating.

Ripped out Pen on Friday and began replacing it with ProseMirror: https://prosemirror.net/. What a difference. It's much more complex to learn - schemas, decorators, keymaps - but it's hugely customizable and cuts out all of the contenteditable quirks.

Worked on a transcript today and the experience was the reverse. Felt amazing. Sometimes a total rewrite just has to happen, unfortunately.

Kicks Condor
Source
Actions