what makes a social movement? why do they happen? what are the theories behind social movements? what ideas propel social movements? what dynamics exist within social movements? what are empirical cases of social movements globally? what are the limits of west-centric social movement theorizing? how can the political climate of the contemporary USA (v. the contemporary world and global south) be understood? what is the nature of coalitions, communities, and systems? what are the fundamental systems & structures of social movements? how are individuals, groups, or institutions influenced by contextual factors? why are social movements so difficult to sustain? how are social and cultural constructs changing right now?
Originally a civic protest group founded in 1998 formed in Belgrade, Serbia.
Formed primarily by a group of student activists at the University of Belgrade.
What were they protesting against?
- Authoritarian educational restrictions
- Harsh media and speech restrictions
- Dictatorial ruling practices
- Continued war
- Milosevic was a prime figure in orchestrating the Bosnian Genocide (early to mid 90s)
- founding member of Otpor
- son of prominent media personalities
- guitarist in a goth-rock band called BAAL in 1993
- before founding Otpor was member of the serbian Democratic party
- foundeded CANVAS (activist mentoring program) after Milosevic's downfall