We can finally share the beta of the new Are.na client. We are still working on it but you can start using it and share feedback. There are also a few of important changes that you should be aware of:
- In the old version you're using, public and closed channels are visible only to Are.na users, in the new version they will be crawlable by search engines and can be viewed by logged out visitors. If you have channels that you prefer to keep among a circle of people you can switch them to private on this dashboard. Private channels will stay completely private and absent from search engines and people outside Are.na. Only collaborators can view and edit the channel. Private channels can also be shared with non-collaborators via the share-link.
- Another big change is the new connect system, it takes a bit to get used to it but after the transition we find it much faster and useful. Let us know what you think.
- You will also notice the reverse order of blocks on channels, it's now "newest first". Additional view options will be introduced.
- The premium tools is a way for regular users to help us being self-sustainable, we'll add more features to the offer gradually.
Aside from the obvious design and features changes there are several under the hood details we're implementing. These come from users feedback, data and our own decisions based on what's best for Are.na's future development:
- Generally the required actions to complete "stories" (i.e. "connect a block to a channel") have been reduced by 1-2 clicks or kept the same.
- If you open a link from a private channel the webmaster of the landing website won't see the referral URL, you can make "my worst enemies" channels
- Ways to resurface and manage old channels (/explore and /manage pages)
- Ability to connect blocks from the open lightbox and connect a channel from the channel itself
- Google Reverse image on blocks
You can keep an eye on what we've done and what's coming next in our
We are aware of most of the bugs or they're likely work-in-progress glitches, at this stage it's important for us feedback on a usability, interaction, features level. The missing features (user settings, find/invite friends, order blocks and view settings) are coming in the next weeks.