knowing when to deviate
articulation vs execution
turbulence (productive and accidental)
constrained vs empowered by my own systems
total devotion, immersion
texture of memory
everything vs nothing
touching vs hearing
i'll reach you through the portal within
sound as sculpture
when to think of myself as a system vs allowing myself to be human
edges of the world
shape of time
completing a thought
doing nothing (jenny odell)
building sanctuary within myself
time as material
romantic partnership as creative telos
folding & unfolding
large bodies of water
thoughts become things
mind & spirit
- what is the difference between the articulation of an idea versus the execution of it?
- do i feel empowered or constrained by my own systems?
- what is productive turbulence?
- what does it mean to sharpen?
- how old do i feel? + what age feels right today?
- what can i do differently because i've decided to be a different age?
- do i feel more free today by being younger or older?
- when is it the right time to retire a metaphor?
- am i organizing my emotions to accept or avoid something?
- how many times do i meet myself in the past, present, and future?
- did i strike the right balance between living / being / processing today?
- did i speak enough with my inner voice today?
- how did fear or lack of fear shape my routine today?
- what was the shape of today? what did i want it to be?
- what sculpture can i build with the sounds of today?
- who do i expect to see in the mirror?
- did i feel nimble today?
- what does elasticity feel like?
- what does belonging feel like?
- what does surrender feel like?
- will i let the weather change my decisions today?
- is what i decide to wear today related to a performance?
- did i feel safe today?
- did i go home right when i needed to start resting?
- why did something taste good?
The Japanese concept of Ma has been described as a pause in time, an interval or emptiness in space. Ma is the time and space life needs to breath, to feel and connect. If we have no time, if our space is restricted, we cannot grow. This universal principle applies to every aspect of life.
Ideas are not products, as much as corporations would like them to be. Ideas are intersections between ourselves and something else, whether that’s a book, a conversation with a friend, or the subtle suggestion of a tree. Ideas can literally arise out of clouds (if we are looking at them). That is to say: ideas, like consciousness itself, are emergent properties, and thinking might be more participation than it is production. If we can accept this view of the mind with humility and awe, we might be amazed at what will grow there.
attempting meaningful creative work alongside prolonged anger is a feat and i will applaud myself for not completely throwing in the towel as much as i'm tempted to.
Poethics: a linking of aesthetic registers to the fluid and rapidly changing experiences of everyday life; making sense and new sense (sometimes taken for nonsense) [of] ongoing poetics of daily life; linking between the individual and public ethics in pursuit of the good life by tolerating ambiguity and delight in complex possibility.
to find a balance between accuracy and expression, between tradition and experimentation, between direction and discovery