DESIGN TO DIVEST
- group of designers, researchers, strategists...working to divest
PURPOSE OF ZINE
- function as one of the ways we divest
- an exploration in afrofuturism: through the lens of george clinton
- funkadelic album and movie in 3 parts discussing blackness in different ways
- first part aliens came back to earth (show clip?)
- mahie wrote a synthesis and analysis of the film
- transcript of a talk D2D did with Where Are The Black Designers, another group out of 2020 as more of an open network of black designers
- talk discusses design and its functions, if it's art, and who it should serve
- started in google docs (show files)
- michael designed templates and we all designed a few guiding layouts
- mahie designed her layouts, i designed transcription
- broke away from design constructs, i struggled at first but she helped me open my mind to zine styling and breaking traditional publication standards
- art from aishatu and kristen SUPER DOPE and talented artists on our team exploring afrofuturism
- with But Whole press, collective riso printing group and friends with mahie
- the images came out amazing
- since we started small everything was supposed to be done in house but as our zine grew in size we eventually had to use BWP's binding friends to make it an official book, took around a month
- pricing was just factoring in cost of production and number of copies. we wanted it to be cheapy cheap cheap, but 72 pages....its not a zine anymore lol
THATS IT! CHECK IT OUT ON ARE.NA!
Design to Divest is a Black-led organization focused on creating an equitable society through the divestment of inequitable systems and institutions.
D2D | Zine
Our first publication designed and produced in-house. We wanted to explore Afrofuturism as a concept through pieces tied to the cultural aesthetics of the movement (Cosmic Slop) but also by adapting the collaboration with Where Are The Black Designers? into a transcription educating our audience on the value of designing systems for a radically better future. The following pages contain spreads from the zine, which will be released in June 2021.