a small space can also comfort and nurture an inhabitant such that they experience numen or the sublime....
the humble submergence of private devotion, which exalts the mind. By decreasing the scale of a space we need not decrease its potency. The ideal space for an individual numinous experience would compromise:
- access to daylight- to remind one o the giver of life, the Sun
- views out to nature or cityscape- to recognize the individual's place in the wider context of nature and humankind
- comfort- to allow for a variety of seating arrangements for different states of contemplation
- richness of material- simple, un-gilded but high-quality materials to reflect the importance of space
- correct proportions- too large and the space becomes unwelcoming, too small and it becomes uncomfortable