This crisis is exposing the different characteristics and features of the social-economic value structures:
More than a health crisis, this is a crisis of values
- the move from shareholder value versus localist economy
- local business changing their offerings — take-away, rethinking who they source and produce for
- Even broader policies and practices are put in check: healthcare regulations, right-to-try, placement of manufacturing, government reach and response, civic organising
Questions to discuss tonight:
- What re the Articulated Values that the pandemic made clear about our current economic model? More importantly, what are the suppressed ones?
- Why are these values suppressed? What structural features of drive the evolution of norms and make it harder to live by the suppressed values?
- What could be a new value-system for the world post pandemic?