1 medium cabbage (red or green)
1 tablespoon sea salt
- Remove one of the outermost leaves from cabbage and set aside.
- Cut cabbage into quarters, remove the core, and slice each quarter into thin shreds.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the cabbage with the salt, massage with your hands for 10-15 minutes.
- Place cabbage into a 32 ounce wide mouth mason jar. Pack down until the liquid covers the cabbage, leaving about 2 inches of space at the top. If the cabbage doesn't have enough liquid, add a little water.
- Take the cabbage leaf you set aside and place inside the jar to seal the shredded cabbage and liquid underneath. Firmly close the lid on the jar. Store the jar at room temperature for 3-7 days (or longer to taste). Once it reaches the desired flavor, transfer to refrigerator.
Warmer temperature results in faster fermentation. The same level of fermentation may vary, from 3 days in the summer to 7 days in the winter.